About the OpO Program
Joining our Operational Officer (OpO) program is a great way to play your part in the protection of the community and support our volunteers, while enjoying a career in the NSW RFS.
The OpO program is a unique opportunity for NSW RFS staff members to gain experience in a wide range of activities across our statewide Districts, Area Commands as well as other specialised sections across the organisation including Head Office. The program currently operates across three levels, which include:
Within each level, OpO staff members will have the opportunity to rotate through different locations biennially and are provided with contemporary learning and development opportunities both locally in the role and hosted through our state-of-the-art Training Academy located in Dubbo.
We are looking for candidates who:
- Remain calm and composed when under pressure or during periods of high activity
- Build capability of small teams, beyond incident attendance (e.g. mentoring, passing on knowledge)
- Believe in change and contributor to sustainability
- Are personable and approachable
- Create trust and confidence through authenticity
- Are sensitive to the organisation’s needs
- Are respectful and inclusive
- Make ethical decisions
- Place Customer Service and Volunteer experience above self
- Are high performing
The right candidate will have the opportunity to upskill and obtain qualifications to progress through the OpO Program.
Why work for the NSW RFS?
- Work for the world’s largest volunteer fire service
- Make a difference to the community you live in
- Full-time ongoing employment opportunities
- Be part of a well-respected and success program
- 35-hour working week and generous entitlements
- Ongoing training, learning and development opportunities
- Attractive annual salary
Our Operational Officer program is a statewide program with a range of opportunities to work in a variety of locations and settings.
Check out the Area Map for an overview of our Area and District locations, with Head Office being located at Sydney Olympic Park.
Operational Officer Level 3 recruitment is currently underway! To learn more about these opportunities, please visit I Work for NSW.
Applications close 4 September 2022.
NSW RFS Operational Officer Inductions
Operational Officer Level 3 Induction is scheduled to commence at the Dubbo Training Academy in mid-November 2022.
Expression of interest
If you are a motivated and community-minded individual with a passion for Emergency Services, please register your interest below, and we will keep you up to date with the latest OpO recruitment news and when new opportunities arise.
We won’t use your email address for anything else and you can unsubscribe at any time.
You can also check the iworkfor.nsw.gov.au website for other roles which may be available from time to time.