Kemps Creek RFS
What is the situation at Kemps Creek RFS?
PFAS investigations at Kemps Creek RFS, 1662 Elizabeth Drive, Kemps Creek have now concluded.
The NSW Environment Protection Authority monitored the progress of NSW RFS PFAS investigations at the Kemps Creek RFS site.
Why is PFAS being investigated?
Foam containing PFAS was used in firefighting activities, such as fuel type fires and training, by some Rural Fire Brigades since 1975 for the protection of people and property.
What testing is being undertaken?
Investigations included sampling of on-site soil, surface and ground water by independent environmental consultants on behalf of NSW RFS.
What were the results?
A review of detailed investigation results confirmed the presence of PFAS in some surface soil samples on-site. PFAS detections were in concentrations significantly below the guideline values for industrial/commercial land use, consistent with the zoning of the land. There were no off-site PFAS impacts.
A site improvement options plan was developed by the environmental consultant and reviewed in consultation with the NSW RFS and NSW EPA.
What happens now?
Site improvement works were completed on 16 March 2021. Works included the removal of 540 tonnes of soil from the site and the construction of a new driveway. The excavated soil was sent to landfill, in accordance with NSW EPA waste classification guidelines, and replaced with clean fill. No further investigation is required for this site.
- Read more about the NSW EPA state-wide PFAS program.
- Questions about the NSW EPA’s state-wide PFAS investigation program can be directed to the NSW Environment Line on 131 555.
- NSW Health has a range of information available about PFAS.
- The Commonwealth Department of Health’s Expert Health Panel provided advice on the health impacts of PFAS (May 2018). While there is no consistent evidence of any human health effects related to PFAS exposure, the NSW PFAS Technical Advisory Group is taking a precautionary approach to protecting human health.
- You can read more about what the NSW RFS PFAS investigations by monitoring this site.
Our commitment to you
We will work to keep you up to date on investigations.
You can register for updates or ask questions by emailing email@example.com or contact Debra Thompson, NSW RFS on 02 8508 4040.
Information updated 06 Apr 2021.