Hazard reduction is just one way of preparing for bush fires – it doesn't remove the threat of fire, and it doesn't remove the need for you and your family to be prepared.
There are different types of hazard reduction including controlled burning, mechanical clearing like slashing undergrowth, or even reducing the ground fuel by hand.
You can see a list of planned hazard reduction burns below. This list may change at short notice depending on the weather at the time.
If there is a hazard reduction burn planned for your area, take the following steps:
- Keep doors and windows closed to prevent smoke entering homes
- Keep outdoor furniture under cover to prevent ember burns
- Retract pool covers to prevent ember damage
- Remove washing from clotheslines
- Ensure pets have a protected area
- Vehicles must slow down, keep windows up, turn headlights on
- Sightseers must keep away from burns for their own safety
- If you have asthma or a lung condition, reduce outdoor activities if smoke levels are high and if shortness of breath or coughing develops, take your reliever medicine or seek medical advice
Hazard Reduction Advisory for 19th November 2015 to 27th November 2015
The following hazard reduction burns are planned by NSW land managers (such as National Parks and Wildlife Service, Forestry Corporation NSW, Crown Lands and Local Government Authorities) and fire agencies (NSW Rural Fire Service and Fire and Rescue NSW) over coming days, weather permitting.
|Due datesort||LGA||Location||Tenure||HR by|
|19/11/2015 to 20/11/2015||Greater Taree||Springhill Road, Coopernook||Local Government Authority||Rural Fire Service|
|21/11/2015 to 22/11/2015||Cessnock||Moores Road, Wollombi||Private||Rural Fire Service|
|21/11/2015 to 22/11/2015||Wollondily||Wedderburn Airstrip||Crown Land||Rural Fire Service|
|23/11/2015 to 25/11/2015||The Hills||Hope Farm Road, Cattai National Park||Cattai||National Parks|
|25/11/2015 to 27/11/2015||Shoalhaven||Island Point Road, St Georges Basin||St Georges Basin||Rural Fire Service|
|27/11/2015 to 28/11/2015||Penrith||Londonderry Road, Londonderry||Private||Rural Fire Service|