Join the NSW RFS
Are you ready to make a difference to your community?
Become a NSW RFS volunteer.
The NSW Rural Fire Service (NSW RFS) is the world’s largest volunteer fire service, made up of more than 70,000 dedicated volunteers right across NSW.
NSW RFS volunteers are ready to respond to emergencies 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, all year round, attending a range of incidents from bush and grass fires to house and structure fires, road accidents and assisting at other events like floods, storms and searches.
Volunteering with the NSW RFS offers you the opportunity to learn new and valuable skills that will not only assist you in your voluntary role but in day to day life and even your workplace. It is also an opportunity to meet people you wouldn't normally meet. For many of our members, it's also about being part of a wonderful tradition and an organisation with a very proud history.
Watch the video below to find out more about what it means to join the NSW Rural Fire Service.
A few things to think about before you apply to join the NSW RFS:
- Read through our Candidate Guide to find out more about being a volunteer.
- Before applying, consider the kind of volunteer work you would like to do, and the time you can spare. It’s also a good idea to discuss your intention to volunteer with your family, friends or employer – their support can be crucial - as well as speak to your local brigade to ensure they are currently recruiting for new members. You can find details of your local brigade here or find them on Facebook.
- You must live in reasonable proximity to a NSW RFS brigade in order to respond in a timely manner.
- For the safety of yourself and other members, it’s a requirement that you are vaccinated against COVID-19 and to provide evidence of your vaccination.
- Have a think about if the NSW RFS is right for you. Where you can, try and attend open days, information sessions and speak to your local brigade where current volunteers can help you decide.
Existing NSW RFS members – if you wish to change your membership (dual membership, transfer brigades or change from Junior to Senior) please log into One NSW RFS to do this.