Hazard reduction is just one way of preparing for bush fires – it doesn't remove the threat of fire, and it doesn't remove the need for you and your family to be prepared.
There are different types of hazard reduction including controlled burning, mechanical clearing like slashing undergrowth, or even reducing the ground fuel by hand.
You can see a list of planned hazard reduction burns below. This list may change at short notice depending on the weather at the time.
If there is a hazard reduction burn planned for your area, take the following steps:
- Keep doors and windows closed to prevent smoke entering homes
- Keep outdoor furniture under cover to prevent ember burns
- Retract pool covers to prevent ember damage
- Remove washing from clotheslines
- Ensure pets have a protected area
- Vehicles must slow down, keep windows up, turn headlights on
- Sightseers must keep away from burns for their own safety
- If you have asthma or a lung condition, reduce outdoor activities if smoke levels are high and if shortness of breath or coughing develops, take your reliever medicine or seek medical advice
Hazard Reduction Advisory for 12th October 2017 to 20th October 2017
The following hazard reduction burns are planned by NSW land managers (such as National Parks and Wildlife Service, Forestry Corporation NSW, Crown Lands and Local Government Authorities) and fire agencies (NSW Rural Fire Service and Fire and Rescue NSW) over coming days, weather permitting.
|Due datesort||LGA||Location||Tenure||HR by||Size|
|14/10/2017 to 15/10/2017||Dubbo Regional||Bushland north of Mitchell Highway and west of Bumblegumbie Road, Dubbo||Department of Primary Industries (Crown Lands)||Rural Fire Service||32 ha|
|14/10/2017 to 15/10/2017||Narromine||South of The McGrane Way and north of Gainsborough Road, Narromine||Local Government Authority||Rural Fire Service||24 ha|
|16/10/2017 to 16/10/2017||Hilltops||Australian Rail Track Corporation rail corridor between Wombat Road and Wynwood Road, Harden||Australian Rail Track Corporation||Private, Rural Fire Service||90 ha|
|17/10/2017 to 17/10/2017||Randwick||Bushland to the south of New South Wales Golf Course, La Perouse||Other||Fire & Rescue NSW||3 ha|
|17/10/2017 to 17/10/2017||Walcha||East of Thunderbolts Way and in the vicinity of Kings Road, Nowendoc||Private||Private, Rural Fire Service||81 ha|