Information for the media
The media plays an important role during major incidents. The information provided by the media can assist people in making informed decisions which can ultimately affect their safety.
The NSW RFS uses the media to provide information on fire incidents to the community.
Media personnel are encouraged to use the following services for information during NSW RFS incidents:
- Fires Near Me – this page provides you with details such as the location, size, alert level and status of an incident.
- Major Fire Updates – during major incidents, these updates provide you with detailed information and advice.
- Social Media and Apps – The NSW RFS uses social media to engage with the community and to provide information on incidents and activities attended by our volunteers.
- RSS feeds – these are available for use on media websites, providing a live feed of information from the Service.
- Standard Emergency Warning Signal (SEWS) - is a distinctive tone played on radio or television in the event of an emergency.
The NSW RFS also provides regular media releases and other updates as required.
We encourage everyone, including the media, to use a variety of sources for information during emergency incidents.
For updates on fires or incidents involving fire authorities outside of NSW please check the websites of fire authorities in these states. These can include: