Major Fire Updates
Advice - Long Gully Rd, Drake (Tenterfield LGA) 2019-09-18 16:38Advice - Long Gully Rd, Drake (Tenterfield LGA)
A bush fire is burning in bushland in the vicinity of Drake, Tabulam and the Bruxner Highway. The fire has burnt more than 62,700 hectares and is being controlled.
Storm cells moved across the fireground yesterday afternoon. Lightning strikes were detected across the area and a number of new fires have been reported. Make sure you report any unattended fires to Triple Zero (000) immediately.
Although there was some rainfall across the fireground it has not been enough to extinguish the fire.
The fire continues to burn on northern side of the township of Drake, near Red Rock Road and Rover Park.
The southern edge of the fire continues to burn in the area of Poverty Point, Surface Hill and Sandy Creek area.
The Bruxner Highway is currently closed in some locations. Check Live Traffic for updates.
Firefighters will continue to conduct backburns as conditions allow. People will notice an increase of smoke and fire activity as these burns are undertaken.
Residents in the areas of Drake, Red Rock Road and Rover Park, follow your bush fire survival plan and ensure you know what you will do if conditions change.
If you are in the area of Ewingar, Sandy Place, Tilbaroo and areas on the western side of the Clarence River, follow your bush fire survival plan and ensure you know what you will do if conditions change.
People in areas on the eastern side of the Clarence River should monitor conditions closely. Ensure you know what you will do if the fire impacts on your property.
If you live in the area but are away from your home, it may not be safe to return to your property.
- A Disaster Assistance Point will be open at Drake Information Centre, Fairfield Street, Drake between 1:00pm and 4:00pm throughout Monday to Friday.
- Tenterfield Disaster Assistance will be open at Tenterfield Council Chambers from 9:00am to 5:00pm throughout Monday to Friday.
- If your life is at risk, call Triple Zero (000) immediately.
- Continue to stay up to date with the bush fire situation by checking http://www.rfs.nsw.gov.au, listening to your local radio station or by calling the NSW RFS Bush Fire Information Line on 1800 679 737.
- For information on road closures, check http://livetraffic.rta.nsw.gov.au. Roads may be closed without warning.