Major Fire Updates
Advice - North Black Range, Palerang (Queanbeyan-Palerang LGA) 2019-12-08 19:17Advice - North Black Range, Palerang (Queanbeyan-Palerang LGA)
A bush fire is burning through the Tallaganda National Park, and the Bombay and Braidwood areas. The fire is more than 33,000 hectares in size and is being controlled.
- Fire activity is easing across the fireground.
The fire is burning to the west of Braidwood remains active in the following areas:
- Warri/Manar – South of Manar Road and Butmaroo Road.
- Harolds Cross – north of Vernelly Road and Gumms Road.
- Buttmaroo – south east of Buttmaroo Road and Ingledow Road.
Crews continue to patrol and extinguish hotspots on the western (Butmaroo, Forbes Creek, Rossi areas) and eastern (Bombay, Mt Elrington, Farringdon) sides of the fire.
Backburning continues north of Harold’s Cross in the Vernelly Road, Fork Road, Snake Tree Road and Lowden Road areas.
- More favourable weather conditions are forecast for today. Firefighters will use this opportunity to construct and strengthen containment lines and undertake back burning ahead of an expected deterioration of weather conditions early this week.
- If you are in the area of Warri, Manar, Braidwood, Bombay, Little Bombay, Mount Elrington, Farringdon, Wallaces Gap, Jembaicumbene Creek, Bendoura, Majors Creek, Reidsdale, Hoskinstown/Rossi, Forbes Creek and Buttmaroo, continue to monitor the situation. Follow advice from firefighters.
- If you are in the area of Mongarlowe, refer to the Currowan fire Major Fire Update.
- Smoke is expected to continue to impact communities west of this fire for a number of days. Residents with breathing difficulties should take appropriate precautions.
If you are in an area that has already been affected by fire, there may be small areas of active fire burning for some time. Be aware of the dangers of trees and branches falling.
The Kings Highway is currently closed east of Braidwood between Forest River Road, Monga to Nelligen due to back burning operations as part of the Currowan (Shoalhaven) fire. This expected to remain in place until later in the week.
- Tallaganda National Park, State Conservation Area and State Forest are closed. All roads in the area including Mulloon Fire Trail and Lowden Road are closed.
If you are threatened by fire
- Do not be in the path of the fire.
- Protect yourself from the heat of the fire. Wear protective clothing and footwear. Cover all exposed skin.
- If the fire impacts, seek shelter in a solid structure to protect yourself from the heat of the fire.
- If your life is at risk, call Triple Zero (000).
- Large animals and companion animals can be taken to Bungendore and Braidwood Showgrounds.
- For a list of evacuation centres visit Disaster Assistance.
- People are encouraged to register online at Register Find Reunite before attending evacuation centres.
- For a list of school closures visit Department of Education.
- A Neighbourhood Safer Place is at Ryrie Park, Corner of Wilson Street and Wallace Street, Braidwood and Majors Creek Recreation Grounds, Hill Street, Majors Creek. A Neighbourhood Safer Place is a place of last resort.
- Stay up to date on bush fires in your area by checking the NSW RFS website, listening to your local radio station, or by calling the NSW RFS Bush Fire Information Line on 1800 679 737.
- For information on road closures, check Live Traffic NSW. Roads may be closed without warning.
- Monitor weather conditions and weather warnings at Bureau of Meteorology.
The next update on this fire will be issued by 09/12/2019 11:00 or if the situation changes.