Major Fire Updates
Advice - Rockton (Snowy Monaro LGA) 2020-01-25 07:42Advice - Rockton (Snowy Monaro LGA)
Posted: 2020-01-25 07:42
A bush fire is burning in the Bombala, Rockton, Mila and Paddys Flat areas. The fire is currently over 22,000 hectares in size and is being controlled.
- This fire is adjoined to the Border fire in NSW to the east and is part of a larger fire burning in Victoria.
- The fire is burning on both the east and west of the Monaro Highway in the Rockton area. This includes Bondi State Forest and South East Forests National Park.
- Mild weather across the fire ground is allowing crews to strengthen containment lines.
- Crews will implement backburning operations over the coming days, where conditions allow.
- If you are the areas of Bombala, Rockton and Mila, monitor conditions.
If you are threatened by fire
- Do not be in the path of the fire.
- Protect yourself from the heat of the fire. Wear protective clothing and footwear. Cover all exposed skin.
- If the fire impacts, seek shelter in a solid structure to protect yourself from the heat of the fire.
- If your life is at risk, call Triple Zero (000).
- If you are in an area that has already been affected by fire, there may be small areas of active fire burning for some time. Be aware of the dangers of trees and branches falling.
- Stay up to date on bush fires in your area by checking the NSW RFS website, listening to your local radio station, or by calling the NSW RFS Bush Fire Information Line on 1800 679 737.
- People with respiratory conditions who are affected by bush fire smoke should activate their health management plan and seek medical advice if necessary. Take precautions, such as staying indoors and closing windows.
- For information on road closures, check Live Traffic NSW. Roads may be closed without warning.
- Monitor weather conditions and weather warnings at Bureau of Meteorology.