Bush Fire Danger Period Extended until 30 April 2019
The NSW Rural Fire Service (NSW RFS) has extended the statutory Bush Fire Danger Period in the Cudgegong area due to ongoing warm and dry conditions.
NSW RFS Superintendent Troy Porter said the Bush Fire Danger Period, which usually ends on 31 March, had been extended this year to Tuesday 30 April 2019 due to weather conditions in the Mid-Western Regional area.
“The extension means anyone wanting to light a fire in the Mid-Western Regional Local Government Area (LGA) after 31 March 2019 will require a Fire Permit,” Superintendent Porter said.
“Fire Permits are free and available from your local brigade permit officer or by contacting the Cudgegong Fire Control Centre on 6372 4434.
“As always, residents must also notify neighbouring land owners and the local fire authority 24 hours prior to burning.”
Superintendent Porter said that although the area has recently received some rain there are areas in the District that did not benefit from the rainfall and the risk to the community in these areas is still significant.
The decision to extend the Bush Fire Danger Period was made in consultation with local brigade Captains and other local organisations including National Parks and Wildlife Service and the Mid-Western Regional Council.
“These decisions are never made lightly and involve a number of stakeholders from the local area,” Superintendent Porter said.
“Our overriding concern is the safety of all residents and we have acted accordingly by extending the Bush Fire Danger Period until 30 April 2019.
“Now is not the time for anyone to become complacent about the risk of bush fires.
“I urge all residents to know what they and their family will do if a fire was to threaten. When will you go, what will you take and where will you go? Ask yourself, how fireproof is your plan?
“Please also report any unattended fires you see to Triple Zero (000) immediately.”
Contact: Cudgegong District Fire Control Centre
Phone: 02 6372 4434