Major Fire Updates
Advice - Wallangarra (Tenterfield LGA) 2019-02-18 17:39Advice - Wallangarra (Tenterfield LGA)
A bush fire is burning in Wallangarra area, north of Tenterfield. The fire has burnt more than 37,500ha and is being controlled.
The fire continues to burn west of the Bruxner Highway in the Girraween, Bald Rock, Boonoo area.
Most activity today has been on the south western side of the fireground near Sunnyside and on the north western side of the fire in the Girraween Nation Park (Queensland), north of Wallangarra.
Firefighters from the NSWRFS, Forestry Corp and NPWS will continue to work on the fireground overnight in an effort to bring the fire under control.
Firefighters are currently undertaking backburning operations which will see an increase in fire activity and smoke produced. This smoke is likely to settle overnight in and around the areas of Tenterfield, Jennings, Wallangarra and Stanthorpe (QLD), starting to clear late Tuesday morning.
Residents in the Jennings, Tenterfield, Bryans Gap and Black Swamp areas may see an increase and smoke and fire activity as these burns continue.
Smoke from the fire is settling over a large area. You should only call Triple Zero if you see an unattended fire.
If you are in these areas continue to monitor conditions and know what you will do if the fire approaches your property.
Check and follow your Bush Fire Survival Plan. If you do not have a plan, decide what you will do if the situation changes. Leaving early is your safest option.
The Bruxner Highway is currently closed, between Tenterfield and Tabulam, due to backburning operations.
Queensland residents are asked to refer to the warnings being issued by the Queensland Rural Fire Service. Visit https://www.qfes.qld.gov.au for more information.
- If your life is at risk, call Triple Zero (000) immediately.
- Continue to stay up to date with the bush fire situation by checking http://www.rfs.nsw.gov.au, listening to your local radio station or by calling the NSW RFS Bush Fire Information Line on 1800 679 737.
- For information from the Queensland Rural Fire Service check https://www.qfes.qld.gov.au
- If you live in the area but are away from home, it may not be safe to return to your property.
- For information on road closures, check http://livetraffic.rta.nsw.gov.au. Roads may be closed without warning.