Junior firefighters begin competing
Published Date: 05 Oct 2011
Over 150 fire cadets aged 12-16 years old from across Australia have converged on Myuna Bay in the Lake Macquarie region, for the 2011 Australian National Fire Cadets Championships which started today.
A record thirty teams from across NSW, Queensland, Victoria, Western Australia and New Zealand will compete in the four day event, which is jointly hosted by the NSW Rural Fire Service and Rural Fire Service Association.
The event, first held in 2007, sees cadets participate in nine life-like scenarios which are designed to test their skills, initiative and safety procedures.
NSW Rural Fire Service Commissioner Shane Fitzsimmons said the Championships showcase the exceptional technical skills, enthusiasm, and leadership of young firefighters.
"The Cadet Championships are an opportunity for young members from across the country to come together, share experiences and learn from one another," Commissioner Fitzsimmons said.
"It's a credit to these young people that they are taking on the responsibility involved in the cadet programme and aspiring to be volunteer firefighters, whilst also having a good time along the way.
"More than 3000 students have now progressed through the Secondary Schools Cadet Programme, with many of them going on to join local volunteer brigades across New South Wales."
Rural Fire Service Association President, Brian McKinlay, said it will be a unique, challenging and inspirational experience for all competitors and will extend their teamwork and leadership skills.
"The championships represent an outstanding opportunity for our young people to develop and implement skills in an environment where they are given responsibility with real consequences.
"I wish all competitors the very best of success at these National Championships," said Mr McKinlay.
Spectators are welcome to take a glimpse of the future of volunteer firefighting, with free entry on both competition days.
The 19 NSW teams participating are:.
- South West (South West Slopes)
- Llandilo (Cumberland Zone)
- Tumut (Riverina Highlands)
- Oakville (Hawkesbury District)
- St Paul's (Cumberland Zone)
- Gundagai (Riverina Highlands)
- Clifton Grove/Ophir (Canobolas Zone)
- Parkes HQ (Mid Lachlan Valley Team)
- Gulgong DC (Cudgegong District)
- Warringah Pittwater (Warringah Pittwater District)
- Lake Macquarie Central Alpha (The Lakes team)
- Berowra Juniors (Hornsby District)
- Orana Team (Orana)
- Blue Mountains (Blue Mountains District)
- Chifley Alpha (Chifley Zone)
- Illawarra Alpha (Illawarra Zone)
- Hawkesbury HQ (Hawkesbury District)
- Regentville (Cumberland Zone)
- Lake Macquarie Central Bravo (The Lakes Team)
Contact Name: State Duty Media Officer
Contact Phone: 02 9898 1855