NSW RFS members awarded on Australia Day
Published Date: 26 Jan 2017
Six NSW Rural Fire Service (NSW RFS) members have been recognised for their contributions to their local community, as part of the Australia Day Honours.
The five volunteers and one staff member have been named as recipients of the prestigious Australian Fire Service Medal (AFSM). They are:
- Mr Harvey Alan BAILEY, Dapto Rural Fire Brigade, Region East
- Mr Graham Charles BENNETT, Thirlmere Brigade, Region East
- Mr John CULLEN, Manager, Far South Coast District, Region South
- Mr James Robert FAHEY, Hornsby District, Region East
- Mr John KJOLLER, Canobolas Zone, Region West
- Mr Trevor Richard PENFOLD, Trungley Hall andPinnacle Brigades, Region West.
Commissioner Shane Fitzsimmons said the six recipients have demonstrated a remarkable level of commitment to the Service and their local communities.
“On Australia Day, we celebrate all the things that make this country great. The dedication that these volunteers have to helping their local communities for the want of nothing in return, other then merely making a difference, is a great example of the Australian sprit,” Commissioner Fitzsimmons said.
“Some of these members have dedicated more than 40 years to helping and protecting others.
"That’s a remarkable commitment and something the whole community should be proud of.
“Our members don’t do what they do for awards or accolades but this is worthy recognition of their efforts and contribution,” Commissioner Fitzsimmons said.
Profiles on the seven recipients can be found on the NSW RFS website.
Contact Name: State Duty Media Officer
Contact Phone: (02) 9898 1855