State wide Total Fire Ban - Saturday 12 January 2013
Published Date: 11 Jan 2013
The Total Fire Ban will commence at midnight tonight and remain in place until midnight 12 January 2013.
The Bureau of Meteorology has advised some parts of NSW will have an Extreme Fire Danger Rating.
The NSW Rural Fire Service advises that in these conditions:
- Fires will likely be uncontrollable, unpredictable and fast moving with flames in the tree tops, and higher than roof tops.
- Thousands of embers will be blown around and into homes causing other fires to start and spread quickly up to 6km ahead of the main fire.
- People should report any unattended fires to Triple Zero.
On a day of Total Fire Ban, there is a ban on any fires out in the open. A gas or electric barbeque is allowed, but only if:
- It is on a residential property within 20 metres of the house or dwelling
- It is in a picnic area and approved by Council, National Parks or State Forest
- It is under the direct control of a responsible adult
- The ground around the barbecue is cleared for 2 metres of all material that can burn
- You have an immediate and continuous supply of water available.