Total Fire Ban - Southern Riverina 7 January 2013
Published Date: 06 Jan 2013
The Total Fire Ban will commence at midnight tonight and remain in place until midnight Monday 7 January 2013.
The Total Fire Ban covers the following Councils:
• Southern Riverina –Berrigan, Conargo, Corowa, Deniliquin, Jerilderie, Murray, Urana, Wakool.
• Northern Riverina –Carrathool, Griffith, Hay, Leeton, Murrumbidgee, Narrandera.
The Bureau of Meteorology has advised that Southern Riverina will have a ‘Very High’ Fire Danger Rating.
If you are in an area of ‘Very High’ fire danger the NSW Rural Fire Service advises that:
• Under these conditions fires can be difficult to control and present a threat to properties.
• Embers may be blown around homes causing other fires to occur up to 2km
ahead of the main fire.
• Well prepared homes that are actively defended can offer safety during a fire.
People should report any unattended fires to Triple Zero.
On a day of Total Fire Ban, there is a ban on any fires out in the open.
A gas or electric barbeque is allowed, but only if:
• It is on a residential property within 20 metres of the house or dwelling
• It is in a picnic area and approved by Council, National Parks or State Forest
• It is under the direct control of a responsible adult
• The ground around the barbecue is cleared for 2 metres of all material that can burn
• You have an immediate and continuous supply of water available.
For full details on Total Fire Ban rules & map of current Total Fire Bans: www.rfs.nsw.gov.au.
Media Contact: NSW RFS State Duty Media Officer (02) 9898 1855