Share this link

Bush Fire Danger Period and Fire Permits

A Fire Permit is required for burning activities during the Bush Fire Danger Period in Rural Fire districts and at all times in Fire and Rescue districts around the state. Fire Permits help ensure fire is used safely and minimise the danger to you, your property and the community. If you’re planning to burn on your property, you need to let us know before you light up. You can notify us of your activity using the online form available here.

Some things to remember:

  • You need a fire permit if it's the Bush Fire Danger Period. Permits help ensure fire is used safely.
  • Getting a permit is free and easy. If your property is in a Rural Fire District, you can apply for a permit online from the RFS by clicking here. If your property is in a Fire and Rescue district, you can apply via the Fire and Rescue website.
  • If you need more information, contact your local Fire Control Centre or your local Fire and Rescue fire station.
  • There are heavy penalties if you don't follow restrictions or rules.

If you're using fire, remember other rules may apply including restrictions on backyard burning or local conditions. Check with your local council.

What is a Fire Permit?

Fire Permits help ensure fire is used safely during the Bush Fire Danger Period. A permit imposes conditions on the way a fire is lit and maintained, and can only be issued by authorised Permit Issuing Officers.

The permit system ensures agencies like the RFS know when and where landholders intend to burn, to ensure adequate and appropriate measures are in place, and so that fires remain under control.

To carry out a Bush Fire Hazard Reduction Burn, you may need:

  • a Fire Permit and/or
  • an Environmental Approval such as a Bush Fire Hazard Reduction Certificate. You must gain this before applying for a Fire Permit.

The Permit Issuing Officer may add any conditions deemed as necessary but all permits have standard conditions that, such as:

  • the permit is to be carried by the permit holder, on site, at the time the fire is lit
  • the permit is to remain on site with those present until extinguished, if applicable
  • the fire must be supervised at all times unless the permit says otherwise
  • notifications are given to the RFS, and adjoining neighbours at least 24 hours (unless specified otherwise) prior to the fire being lit and
  • the permit may be varied, cancelled or suspended, depending on weather conditions.

When are permits required?

The statutory Bush Fire Danger Period runs from 1 October to 31 March, however it may vary due to local conditions. If you are planning to light a fire in the open during this time, you will need a Fire Permit.

You can find out if permits are required in your area below.

Also depending on the type of fire, a permit may be required all year round. For example, a Fire Permit is required at all times if a fire is likely to be dangerous to a building.

When are permits not required?

Fire Permits are not required for fires that are lit for the purpose of land clearance or the creation of a fire break during the Non Bush Fire Danger Period.

Additionally, Fire Permits are not required for fires for the purpose of cooking food, provided that:

  • the fire is in a permanently constructed fireplace;
  • at a site surrounded by ground that is cleared of all combustible materials for a distance of at least two metres all around;
  • the fire is completely extinguished before leaving.

What do I need to do when using fire?

Before lighting the fire ensure that:

  • it can be contained and controlled within the specified area
  • it does not contain toxic materials, such as rubber tyres, plastics, paint etc; and
  • it must not cause an air pollution problem by producing excessive amounts of smoke.

If you have a permit, it is your responsibility to:

  • check whether a Total Fire Ban in force on our Fire Danger Ratings and Total Fire Ban page. If there is, your permit is automatically suspended.
  • check whether a No Burn day has been declared on the EPA website
  • check the expected weather conditions
  • notify and check with your local RFS Fire Control Centre or Fire and Rescue NSW station prior to lighting.
  • follow any conditions restrictions listed in your permit.

How do I apply for a permit?

If your property is in a Rural Fire District, you can apply for a permit online from the RFS by clicking here. If your property is in a Fire and Rescue district, you can apply via the Fire and Rescue website.

If you have any questions or need assistance, contact your local RFS Fire Control Centre.

Fines and penalties

Substantial fines and prison terms of up to 12 months may apply to persons found to be in breach of the Rural Fires Act 1997 and its Regulations.

Civil law suits can also be bought against persons responsible for fire, by those seeking compensation, for losses sustained.

More information

Read our guide Before You Light That Fire for more information about Fire Permits.

Read our guide Engaging a Contractor for more information about engaging a contractor to undertake a burning activity on your property.

You can also check our Can I or Can't I fact sheets to find out what restrictions are in place in your area.

For more information about fines and penalties, or assistance regarding whether you need a Fire Permit or not, contact your local NSW RFS Fire Control Centre.

Where fire permits are required in RFS districts

Permits are required at all times within Fire and Rescue districts. For FRNSW fire permits go to the FRNSW website.

Council name Fire Permit required
Albury City No
Armidale Regional No
Ballina No
Balranald No
Bathurst Regional No
Bayside No
Bega Valley No
Bellingen No
Berrigan No
Blacktown No
Bland No
Blayney No
Blue Mountains No
Bogan No
Bourke No
Brewarrina No
Broken Hill No
Burwood No
Byron No
Cabonne No
Camden No
Campbelltown No
Canada Bay No
Carrathool No
Canterbury-Bankstown No
Central Coast No
Central Darling No
Cessnock No
City of Parramatta No
Clarence Valley No
Cobar No
Coffs Harbour No
Coolamon No
Coonamble No
Cootamundra-Gundagai Regional No
Cowra No
Cumberland No
Dubbo Regional No
Dungog No
Edward River No
Eurobodalla No
Fairfield No
Federation No
Forbes No
Georges River No
Gilgandra No
Glen Innes Severn No
Goulburn Mulwaree No
Greater Hume No
Griffith No
Gunnedah No
Gwydir No
Hawkesbury No
Hay No
Hilltops No
Hornsby No
Hunters Hill No
Inner West No
Inverell No
Junee No
Kempsey No
Kiama No
Ku-ring-gai No
Kyogle No
Lachlan No
Lake Macquarie No
Lane Cove No
Leeton No
Lismore No
Lithgow No
Liverpool No
Liverpool Plains No
Lockhart No
Maitland No
Mid-Coast No
Mid-Western Regional No
Moree Plains No
Mosman No
Murrumbidgee No
Murray River No
Muswellbrook No
Nambucca No
Narrabri No
Narrandera No
Narromine No
Newcastle No
Northern Beaches No
North Sydney No
Oberon No
Orange No
Parkes No
Penrith No
Port Macquarie Hastings No
Port Stephens No
Queanbeyan-Palerang Regional No
Randwick No
Richmond Valley No
Ryde No
Shellharbour No
Shoalhaven No
Singleton No
Snowy Monaro Regional No
Snowy Valleys No
Strathfield No
Sutherland No
Sydney No
Tamworth Regional No
Temora No
Tenterfield No
The Hills No
Tweed No
Unincorporated NSW No
Upper Hunter No
Upper Lachlan No
Uralla No
Wagga Wagga No
Walcha No
Walgett No
Warren No
Warrumbungle No
Waverley No
Weddin No
Wentworth No
Willoughby No
Wingecarribee No
Wollondilly No
Wollongong No
Woollahra No
Yass Valley No